Thursday, July 29, 2010

Flowers in the Attic.

Does anyone remember V.C. Andrews?  The author of 'thriller' books, most often, but not always,  paperbacks?

I'll be honest.  I've always looked at her books and thought they seemed silly, sort of like the romance section.  Now, if you love romance books, that's great.  But I'm talking about the kind of books that seem to fall on the lowest part of the totem pole of popularity.

Many years ago, and a couple of times since, I saw the movie "Flowers in the Attic", based on the book by V.C. Andrews.  I finally decided to try reading it. 

And you know what?  I really enjoyed it.  The writing was excellent, the story was interesting, and it was not at all what I expected.  Truth be told, I most likely would never have even considered the book had I not seen the movie and therefore knew the plotline (Crazy mom + crazy daughter = 4 children locked away in the attic).  It sounds disturbing, I know, but it really wasn't as bad as that little synopsis.

I stand corrected on my assumption that the books were nothing but silliness.

I don't consider it a thriller or horror, but maybe to some?  Give it a read, and see what you think!


P.S.  I'm now reading the second in this particular series, 'Petals on the Wind'.


2 comments:

  1. I read them a long time ago and they were actually really good reads. Strange sibling behavior if I remember correctly but hello they were locked in the attic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I read every VC Andrews book there is back in high school! Petals on the Wind was my favorite in the Dollanganger series. The Heaven series is also fantastic. Stay away from the newer, ghost-written books, not nearly as awesome as the old school ones.

    ReplyDelete