Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday Fondness: A Strange Childhood Book...

My favorite childhood book would be considered very disturbing today. 
However, I will read this story to my children someday, disturbing or not.  I loved it.  I am so, utterly pleased that I found a used copy for a mere quarter at the library bookstore. 
This book is, after all, out of print.

I give you...

Bony Legs.

Check out the cover:

Scary, huh?

Bony Legs is about a witch named (duh) Bony Legs.  Her bony legs could make her run very fast.  And she liked to eat children.  (Come on, now, I told you this was a DISTURBING book)!  She lived in a hut in the woods.
On the edge of the woods lived a little girl named Sasha.  Her aunt sent her out to borrow thread. 
Sasha came to a hut in the woods.  (See where this is all going?)
Well, without pretty much telling you the entire story, lets put it this way:  Sasha is kind and generous to some creatures she meets along the way, and the creatures help her in return.  They help her escape from Bony Legs. 
In essence, it is a fable about good vs. evil, and good winning in the end.
Yes, I realize it is somewhat frightening, and the illustrations of Bony Legs are pretty freaky, but the overall moral is worthwhile.
This book is unique.  To say the least.  ;) 
And I still love it!

Have a great Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment