Friday, January 22, 2010

Friday Fondness: Pee Wee's Playhouse (Plus a Bonus PSA)

Hanging my head in slight shame, I willingly admit to you that I watched this program:

Pee Wee's Playhouse.


I thought it was so clever and funny. 

Of course, this was long before Paul Rueben's own 'pee wee' scandal. 

I remember liking some of the regular segments and reoccuring characters of the show: 

Jambi the Genie, Pterry the pterodactyl, Penny, Conky the Robot, just to name a few.

And of course, the day's Secret Word issued by Conky. 

And for some reason, the giant foil ball really sticks out in my mind.



However, as time has passed, I don't remember the plots of the episodes as much as these key characters.

It was a silly show, like Blues Clues amped up on hallucinogenics, while the main character wears about an inch of cover up, and appears to have some form of ADHD. 
Still...if you were a child of the 80s, I would bet you saw at least one episode of Pee Wee's Playhouse.  At least one.

Your Secret Word today is:  snaggle.  You know what to do.

Remember the theme song? 


Oh, and the Pee Wee PSA!  This is so funny! 

While I appreciate the 'effort' and all, doesn't this kind of make it sound like he's saying crack is bad, but implying that cocaine isn't?  Or is it just me?  Either way, there is something about a serious Pee Wee Herman emerging from the darkness holding some crack that makes me chuckle. 

Pee Wee, maybe you should have done a PSA on certain other issues:

Let's be real:  if you do anything that will equal a mugshot, then you probably shouldn't be doing it, regardless. 

Right Pee Wee?

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Why on earth was PeeWee Herman chosen to do that crack commercial? How bizarre! Gotta agree with your assessment..., but it did crack me up (no pun intended!). Debbie the anonymous commenter (is that a real word?)

    ReplyDelete