Friday, February 12, 2010

Friday Fondness: Cabbage Patch Kids Are Safer in a Closet

I remember getting my first (and only) Cabbage Patch Kid doll when I was 5 years old. 

While most children happily sleep with their dolls, mine was securely put away in my closet when the sun went down...

I wanted one that was blond (like me, obviously), and wore a pretty dress, like this:



I got one with red pigtails, freckles, and she wore a yellow t-shirt with jeans and tennis shoes.  I don't even remember what her name was.


She looked similar to the redhead in this ad, only without the overalls.

Sigh.  I learned much later on the whole story of 'supply and demand' when it came to these dolls, so my parents did their very best.

Then, one simple day at Kindergarten Recess, some of my pals and I began to talk about our Cabbage Patch Kids, what they looked like, and what not.

A little boy overheard us, and thus begins the reason why my doll stayed in my closet at night:

This snotty little boy told all of us little girls that if you leave your Cabbage Patch Kid doll outside at night, it would come to life and eat you.

I.Kid.You.NOT.

Not wanting ANY risk of being eaten by my monster doll at night, I decided the closet was the only place it would stay away from me at sundown.  A CLOSED closet.

This is one of those childhood trauma stories that stick with you. 
Sure, I know better now, but try convincing my 5 year old self that her doll wasn't going to eat her dead in the middle of the night

But, not being one to take things at face value all the time, I went home and told my sister this newly discovered Cabbage Patch Kid Myth. 

Then, I took her doll and threw it outside, as a kind of joke. 
(Chuckle).

And my mom got mad and made me go outside and get it.  As the sun went down.

That was a joke that backfired, because I was SCARED.  Got that doll fast, and into the closet it went.

Darn those flesh eating Cabbage Patch Kids. 

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. That is tooooo funny!! My only question is....did that mean little boy go on the write the screenplay Chuckie?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, he probably could have written it! That meanie head...

    ReplyDelete