Thursday, February 18, 2010

Friday Fondness: The Last Unicorn

The Last Unicorn.



Oh, this movie was the greatest.

I recently purchased it on DVD.  I still love it.

Only, now, as an adult, I can clearly see how dark it is.  Some of the creatures, the undertones of adult themes, the language:


Yes, you heard her.

But, it was so magical.  The story of the last unicorn, called to save the other unicorns from extinction, to rescue them from the Red Bull.  Accidently transformed into a human, who falls in love, and, in experiencing true human emotion, loses the purity of her species.  Finally being changed back into a unicorn, different than before, having experienced love, loss, and regret.

I'm a sucker for romance and emotionally drawn out movie themes.

I also loved mythical creatures as a child:  unicorns, fairies, mermaids, dragons, and the like.

I know, I know...totally strange.  Oh well.

This movie is based on a novel by Peter S. Beagle, which I read a number of years ago, and found quite enjoyable.

If you are able to get rent this movie, I would love to hear your opinion about it!

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment