Sunday, April 11, 2010

Book Vs. Movie. My Picks.

I love to read a good book.

I enjoy a good movie.

Therefore, I like comparing books to their movie makeovers.

Here is my list of books/movies, and which version I prefer (my own humble opinion).

1.  Memoirs of a Geisha.  Arthur Golden.  (The recollections of a successful Geisha in Japan).
The movie is great, but the book is fabulous.  Read it!

2.  The Beach.  Alex Garland.  (A tourist comes across a secret island off the shore in Thailand).
Both were good in their own rights, but I really like the movie.  Watch it!

3.  Harry Potter (any).  J.K. Rowling.  (Young wizard Harry and his Hogwarts pals and their adventures).
Love the movies, but the books ROCK.  Read it!

4.  The Thorn Birds.  Colleen McCullough.  (Love affair between a woman and a priest, set in New Zealand).
Book and movie are a bit long and drawn out.  If you want the condensed version, I vote movie.  Watch it!

5.  Bridget Jones' Diary.  Helen Fielding.  (30 something Bridget seeks love).
Both are hilarious.  I personally love the book.  Read it!

6.  The Notebook.  Nicholas Sparks.  (First love and rekindled romance between a couple).
Oh, oh, the romance of the movie and the chemistry of the actors.  I read the book, but felt it lacked the emotion that was portrayed in the film.  Watch it!

7.  The Virgin Suicides.  Jeffrey Eugenides.  (5 beautiful sisters take their own lives within the course of one year).
One of my favorite books ever.  It is so beautifully written, you feel like you are there.  The movie was well done and kept very close to the novel.  Read it!

8.  The Invisible Circus.  Jennifer Egan.  (Young Phoebe takes on a journey to discover the truth behind her older sister's death).
I only discovered this was a book after stumbling across the movie one night on the movie channel.  The movie was intruiging and heartfelt, but the book explained it all so much better.  Read it!

9.  Rebecca.  Daphne Du Maurier.  (A young woman falls into the shadow of her husband's dead wife).
There have a been a few films made based on this 1938 novel, but the book is by far the best.  Read it!

10.  To Kill A Mockingbird.  Harper Lee.  (Scout and Jem are fascinated by the mysterious Boo Radley, in Alabama).
Oh, where to begin with this one?  This is a tie, for sure.  The book is wonderful, and so is the movie.  Love, love, love them.  Read it!  Watch it!

There you have it, folks!  My own little list of Book vs. Movie comparisons! 

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever had one of those moments where you thought you were reading one blog only to find out when you were finished that it was really another? Well, it has to me, and just now. I'm sure that never happens to you. ;) anyway....

    I am bookmarking this post for a later time, for when I'm done reading the two books I have, then I'll revisit this list and make my next selection. thanks! :)

    btw....I've read Rebecca, it was great, but the movie, not so much since it was a black and white oldie version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya about Rebecca! I've seen the BW, but I also watched the made for TV PBS version, which was slightly better, but the book is still wins!

    Glad the list is helpful!!

    And, yes, it happens to me all the time in regards to blog reading! Probably doesn't help that when I am catching up on blogs, I open up 4-5 tabs at once at flip through them one at a time! Ah, well!

    ReplyDelete